Thursday, June 24, 2010

Historic Rambling

To Whom it May Concern;

It brings me no pleasure in writing this letter. Yet, I believe I must address a problem very succinctly. There must be no misunderstanding, especially between people who must cooperate.

On a number of occasions, I have been in the delicate possition of telling my direct superior "No." Whereas I do not wish to contradict anyone with more education, experience, seniority and general knowledge than I have, I also do not wish to exchange my dignity for the expression of agreement and civility between co-workers. I especially do not wish to alienate an employer, much less for an employer whom I respect. However, I will not compomise my own ethics in order to remain in the good graces of anyone who would ask me to compromise those same ethics. Given the choice of doing something for my employers' benefit or doing that which is according to my ethics, I will not hesitate to be ethical.

As an obtuse example, I will not misrepresent myself for the purpose of fulfilling the desires of an egotist. In simpler terms: "Just because you say so doesn't make it right." I realize that children everywhere would cheer hearing that sentiment. Also, "This is how we've always done it," is not acceptable. I don't particularly care how long it has been done wrong. I will not be a party to it.

9/22/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment